Friday, November 14, 2008

North Carolina Writers Network Fall Conference

Tonight was the first session of the North Carolina Writers Network Fall Conference. I first heard about the conference last summer, during a writing workshop I attended. For months I checked and re-checked the NCWN's website until they opened the registration, and I eagerly read about the conference, chose the sessions I was interested in, and somewhat reservedly (it was a couple hundred dollars) signed up for the conference. I registered over a month ago and have been anticipating this weekend for a long time. However, tonight, I found myself dragging my feet when I should have been getting ready to go. I was afraid since I didn't know anybody and I had no idea what to expect, what to wear, whether people would be nice or snobby, etc.

The reception started at 7:30 and the keynote speaker was at 8:30 pm. I ended up missing the entire reception and arrived a few minutes before the keynote speaker started. I found an empty seat on the end of an aisle in the back and actually started a conversation with the girl sitting next to me. "Have you been to a lot of these conferences?" I asked. "I've been coming since 2004," she replied. She looked like a nice girl and not scary at all. I said something about the reception, and she said there wasn't any food, only a cash bar, so it sounded like I didn't miss much. It turned out to be perfect timing, and as I looked around the room, I saw several people who seemed to have come alone, so I was not the only one.

When I arrived at the conference, I wasn't really interested in the keynote speaker, but to my surprise, I found he was an interesting guy, with a Southern accent, and amazingly normal. I didn't have any trouble listening to his speech or his readings from his new book. So, I'm looking forward to tomorrow...

No comments: